Intense pulsed light treatments for hair removal are the best option right now for hair removal since it combines a speedy treatment, low cost, ease of use and has the advantage of being applicable on a wide range of skin types.
- It’s best to avoid other hair removal methods prior to getting an IPL treatment, such as waxing, plucking, etc. These methods leave the skin in a weaken state and makes it susceptible to breaking, besides, the more hair at the moment of the IPL treatment the better the results.
- Do not use other methods in between sessions since it will make the IPL treatment less effective, other methods either just gets rid of the surface part of the hair while others just uproot it.
- There should always be a “after” care. After an IPL treatment has been applied, there will be some reddening and swelling which go out on themselves after a couple of days but it’s best to use moisturizers, cold compresses or cold creams to help the skin regenerate. Also, the patient would be wise to avoid strong soaps and other hygiene products that could harm the skin.
- Sun should be avoided for about two months since the skin will be more susceptible to burning. At the very least, if it can’t be avoided, it would be wise to use a 35 SPF (or higher) sunscreen.
- Under normal circumstances and with standard safety procedure in place, it should take at least 6 sessions to fully remove the hair since there will be hairs in earlier growing stages that won’t be completely affected at the first sessions. A sufficient time gap between sessions should be observed so the hair grows and matures enough to be easily treated.
- It can be used on a wide range of skin types.
- It’s the closest there is to a permanent hair removal method.
- Darker hair, which is the most visible, it’s also the easier to treat.
- The risk of skin damage is almost non-existent.
- The treatment is versatile enough to be adapted to most patients’ skin type.
If someone asks you what IPL is, just explaining that it’s a safe, semi-permanent hair removing procedure that uses pulses of light should be enough and right on the spot. Also remember that while undergoing the treatment; it’s a smart move to visit an IPL hair removal consultant to keep tabs on how everything is working out.